Environment & Climate Change/Specific Initiatives
From Organized Power
Labor & Climate Jobs
If we are truly serious about reversing the decline of the middle class and putting millions of people back to work, we need a major federal jobs program. There are a number of approaches which can be taken, but the fastest way to create jobs is to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure — roads, bridges, dams, levees, airports, rail, water systems and wastewater plants. I have introduced legislation which would invest $1 trillion over 5 years to modernize our country’s physical infrastructure. This legislation would create and maintain at least 13 million good-paying jobs. It would also make our country more productive, efficient and safe.
— U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders, A Letter from Bernie: Help Make a Political Revolution
- The Labor Network for Sustainability has made available a set of tools called the “Labor Landscape Analysis” to provide the necessary background for those inside and outside the labor movement who want to be a part of labor’s transition to becoming a central player the movement to create a sustainable future for the planet and its people.
- One Million Climate Jobs Campaign (South Africa)
- From About Us: The One Million Climate Jobs Campaign is an alliance of labour, social movements and other civil society organisations in South Africa that are mobilising for real solutions to the threat of climate change. Cutting the pollution of those gasses that lead to climate change is urgent and involves doing many things. Overcoming unemployment and giving decent work to our people is just as urgent. By placing the interests of workers and the poor at the forefront of strategies to combat climate change we can simultaneously halt climate change and address our jobs bloodbath. This is why we campaign for our government to create a million climate jobs now. Our demand is based on well-researched solutions for how South Africa can immediately begin a just transition to a low carbon economy.
- From About Us: The One Million Climate Jobs campaign was set up by trade unionists within the Campaign Against Climate Change, and is supported by a number of national trade unions, including PCS, CWU, UCU and TSSA. The One Million Climate Jobs report received inspiration from the struggle of workers at the Vestas wind turbine factory on the Isle of Wight, who occupied their factory when it was slated for closure in mid 2009. The Campaign Against Climate Change Trade Union Group is part of the Campaign Against Climate Change. We have hosted three national conferences which have brought together Trade Unionists, environmental campaigners, activists and academics to discuss the way in which Trade Unions can be part of the campaign to save the planet.
Pledges & Declarations
- The Climate Mobilization’s Pledge to Mobilize
- Climate change is causing immense human suffering and damage to the natural world. It threatens the collapse of civilization within this century. Confronting this crisis is the great moral imperative of our time.
- Mothers Out Front Mobilizing For A Livable Climate’s A Declaration of Protection for Our Children Against Climate Change
- Over 230 mothers contributed to our Declaration of Protection for Our Children Against Climate Change. It is a statement of our concerns and hopes for our children and grandchildren in the face of climate change. It represents our determination to take the future into our own hands by ensuring that our leaders transition our society away from fossil fuels to clean energy.
- - Support clean energy and better jobs for all Oregon families
- - Transition Oregon off coal power to clean, renewable energy sources
- - Support clean fuel choices and expanded transportation options
- - Hold big polluters accountable for the true cost of their carbon pollution
- - I pledge to join or lead actions that will build momentum for a binding agreement at the Paris 2015 Climate Conference.
- - I pledge to vote with my dollars and consider the ways my personal decisions and investments demonstrate a commitment to fight climate change.
- - If I am of voting age, I pledge to vote for candidates who show, through action, a serious commitment to stopping the climate crisis.
- - I will share this pledge and my story of how I’m being a climate leader with friends and family via social media (hashtag #silenceintoaction), e-mail and in person.
- This is a good "WHEREAS" and "THERFORE BE IT RESOLVED" type of text that can be used as a model for other community organizations, union organizations, etc.